Under the supervision of the Power Plant Superintendent, the Power Plant Operator is responsible for monitoring and maintaining power plant equipment and maintaining a safe workplace.
- Operates plant engines and generators and controlling synchronization;
- Performs dead plant starts and emergency operation;
- Performs checks of the plant and inspects equipment and equipment readings;
- Prepares day tanks and checks oil in equipment;
- Performs maintenance duties as assigned by the supervisor;
- Performs monthly test runs on engines;
- Calculates daily log sheets and transfers readings to monthly sheets;
- Checks cooling tower filtering system;
- Checks air system operation and blow down air tanks;
- Performs major overhauls and equipment rebuilding as assigned by supervisor;
- Assists supervisor in metal fabrication work;
- Cleans and paints metal work;
- Performs plant janitorial duties and grounds upkeep.