The first library in Sterling was a combination firehouse, jail, and library in the 100 block of West Main Street. Annie Walton, the librarian from 1914-1951, secured a $10,000 Andrew Carnegie grant in 1916. The Sterling Free Public Library was built in 1917, one of the last Carnegie libraries built in Kansas. An addition, which doubled the size of the original building, was built in 1982 with a gift from the Anne Dilley estate.
For more information about our library, see the library website.