Planning & Code Enforcement

Men Looking At PlansServices

Planning In Sterling

  • Reviews permitted building and other structural developments and changes for compliance with the city building codes;
  • Conducts the necessary research for the thorough development of the city's comprehensive plan;
  • Conducts the necessary research for the development and modification of city building codes to remain current with modern construction practices and standards;
  • Studies building codes;
  • Enforces nuisance ordinances;
  • Prepares the city's long-term growth plan with respect to annexation needs

The Planning and Zoning Division also provides technical assistance and staff support to the Planning Board and Architectural and Site Review Board.

Permit Rates

Master Fee Schedule


Contractors working within the City of Sterling must be licensed with the City.

Electrical contractors must have the following:

  1. Proof of State Block and Associates
  2. Current Proof of Liability Insurance and Workers Compensation (at least $300,000.00)
  3. Copy of the license from home office

Plumbing licenses would require the same, but not the State Block.

All contractors licenses are $50.00 for the first year, and $25.00.00 renewal after that. They are renewable January 1 of each year.


If working on your own home, you do not need to be licensed, but you still do need to obtain a PERMIT.

Note: Homeowners are not allowed to install the Electrical Service Entrances consisting of the electrical panel, main breaker, meter enclosure, riser and weatherhead.


All work must be inspected by the City Inspector regardless if it is done by a contractor or the homeowner.

  1. Planning & Code Enforcement

    Physical Address
    114 N. Broadway
    Sterling, KS 67579

    Monday - Friday
    8:00 am - 4:30 pm