Micro Mobility Device Local Ordinance
(a) Micro Mobility Devices, as defined herein, may be operated in the City of Sterling Kansas, subject to the rules and regulations adopted herein.
(b) Definition. “Micro mobility device” shall mean electric-assisted scooters, motorized skateboards, electric one-wheel boards, electric personal assistive mobility devices, hoverboards or self-balancing skateboards, and similar devices. Micro mobility devices shall not mean motorized or electric wheelchair.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to ride a micro mobility device in the following areas:
(1) Riders shall not ride on any public sidewalks in the City of Sterling except for the public sidewalks along Broadway Street between Van Buren and Jefferson streets. Pedestrians shall have the right-of-way on all sidewalks.
(2) Public parking facilities, except directly to and from areas marked or signed as micro mobility device parking areas.
(3) Sterling Lake Park Versa Court, RV Park, swimming pool, splash pad, basketball courts, tennis courts, and all public park pathways.
(4) Private pathways at residential or business properties.
(5) In grassed or unpaved areas.
(6) Any designated fire lane and any zone marked for loading or unloading.
(d) Any person who rides a micro mobility device on a public sidewalk shall:
(1) Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and give an audible signal before overtaking and passing pedestrians; and
(2) Travel at a slow speed that is reasonable and prudent under existing conditions.
(e) It shall be unlawful to operate a micro mobility device between hours of dusk or 9pm whichever is earlier and sunrise.
(f) Except for conditions described in subsection (c) and (d), operators shall ride in the street and nearest to the right side of street as possible.
(g) Micro mobility devices shall be parked in the upright position in areas marked and signed for micro mobility device parking, or near bike racks, or on the public sidewalk nearest to the street as possible, and not conflicting with the provisions outlined in subsection (h)
(h) It shall be unlawful to park a micro mobility device in a manner that:
(1) Is in the City street unless marked as a designated parking area for micro mobility devices.
(2) Blocks access to business entrances
(3) Blocks access to driveways
(4) Violates Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
(5) Is in any zone designated for loading or unloading
(i) This section shall not apply to a law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of duties.
(j) Operators must be at least 18 years of age. A driver's license is not required.
(k) It shall be unlawful to fail to comply with all traffic regulations applicable to bicycles.
(l) It shall be unlawful for the operator of a micro mobility device to:
(1) Operate a micro mobility device on a street with a speed limit of 40 miles per hour or more unless the micro mobility device is traveling in a marked bike lane.
(2) Operate a micro mobility device at a speed in excess of 15 miles per hour.
(3) Fail to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and/or give an audible signal before overtaking and passing pedestrians or bicyclists.
(4) Fail to comply with City ordinances governing City park property.
(5) Fail to remain alert and give full attention to safe operation of the micro mobility device while in motion.
(6) Engage in any activity that interferes with the safe operation of the micro mobility device; or
(7) Operate the micro mobility device in such a manner as to indicate a careless or heedless disregard for the rights or safety of others, or in such a manner as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, any person or property.
Section. Fine Structure. Violations of this Ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $20, nor more than $500.
Section. Publication and Effective Date. This ordinance shall take effect and be in full force and effect from and after its passage, signature and publication and posting of the full text of the ordinance on the city's website which has been designated as the official city newspaper.
ADOPTED by the governing body this 2nd day of August, 2021.